Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The House Fly- menace or spawn of the Devil

The house fly also known as Musca domestica.  I just call it my nemesis.  I have had an eternal struggle with this nemesis for years.  For some reason the flies love our house.  They congregate outside the front door waiting for the chance to torment me, to barge in to my life. The other day I got up from dinner to get a fork and when I came back there were three flies on my plate.  My wife said they were taking revenge on me for my genocide of their species over the years.

I usually keep an assortment of fly swatters in the house.  I sometimes leave them in different rooms so I can be ready if the need arises.  I have had a few specialty swatters over the years but none work as well as the .99 cent variety.  I have become an expert at swinging the swatter.   I can even swat them while they are still in the air.  For a few years I did not even need a swatter.  I could catch them with my bare hands.  This year my skills eroded and I was forced to go back to the swatter.  I blame old age.

For some reason the flies like my wife's flowers.  They land on the petals and sit there tempting me to swat them.  Then I have to decide if I am going to swat the fly and hit the flowers or just scare the fly away and protect the flowers. These flowers are beautiful and full of life.  I also can see my wife's expression in my mind if I were to hit the flowers.  She is beautiful but that look is not pretty.  This leaves me with an easy decision and I know what I must do.  Needless to say, my wife was scolding me the next morning for the multitude of petals all over the kitchen table.  Man, I hate flies! 

3 comments:

  1. Very nicely expressed hatred of flies. I also hate flies, but for a different reason. I hate them for what they did to my dog. I won't go into it. It's kind of a downer. Too late, I'm sad now.

    I'll read your post again and it'll cheer me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a little note from said wife..."The petals looked sad and pitiful laying scattered about on the table, the flowers looked about a week old, when they were only 2 days old, and there was STILL A FLY in the kitchen!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. what kind of bug eats flies? I say buy that bug and release them outside your house.

    ReplyDelete